1. What is the Pisacano Scholars Leadership Program?
The Pisacano Scholars Leadership Program provides leadership training and scholarship funding for outstanding medical students who have made a commitment to the specialty of Family Medicine. Applicants are also evaluated on their leadership skills, academic achievement, communication skills, character and integrity, and community service.
2. Who is eligible to apply for the Pisacano Scholarship award?
Students currently in their third-year in a U.S. medical school, or who will enter their fourth year of medical school in the fall following the application deadline, are eligible to apply.
3. I am currently in my third-year of medical school, but plan to take time off to complete my Master's degree before beginning my fourth-year of medical school. Am I still eligible to apply?
Yes. Students completing a Master's degree between their third and fourth years of medical school may apply during the third year, or while they are completing their Master's degree.
4. I attend an osteopathic medical school. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes, students attending osteopathic medical schools are eligible to apply.
5. When is the application deadline?
The application deadline is normally March 1. If March 1 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the application is then due the following Monday.
6. When will I find out if I have received the scholarship?
Students will be notified of the results in August.
7. What does the application process require?
Students must submit the application, topical essay, transcripts, MCAT and USMLE (or COMLEX) scores, and letters of recommendation. Each student will also be required to complete an interview with a local family physician.
8. When and where is the application available?
The application is available on the Foundation website in October of each year.
9. I am currently in my fourth year of medical school and just now heard about the Pisacano Scholarship. Do you have scholarships available for 4th-year students?
Presently, the Foundation only offers scholarships to students who will be entering their fourth year of medical school.
10. Who can I contact if I have additional questions about the application?
Please contact Jane Ireland by email or phone: email@example.com or 888-995-5700, x1249.